Quick Easy Shrimp Creole
My Grandmother used to make Quick Easy Shrimp Creole often, she served it with gorgeous Saffron Rice and garlic butter green beans. There were never any leftovers. It’s that good. I remember well the rich aroma of the sauce simmering as we waited for Sunday dinner. She was an amazing cook, and my time with her in the kitchen inspired my love of cooking at a young age.
This Quick Easy Shrimp Creole is excellent for entertaining, a special date night, or a last minute family dinner. It’s that good, and that easy.
How do I make Shrimp Creole?
This recipe starts with the classic Cajun Creole base of the “Trinity” which consists of chopped onions, celery and green peppers. It’s the base of most Cajun and Creole recipes and I always have these ingredients on hand. The trinity is sauteed until just tender, tomatoes and seasonings are added and then simmered for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Add in the shrimp, cook another 5-6 minutes and dinner is ready.
I add sliced red, yellow and orange bell peppers for the sweetness, however the green bell peppers add an earthy smokiness that is essential to the dish. I don’t recommend leaving them out even if you normally don’t like green peppers. Trust me on this okay?
Can I make Quick Easy Shrimp Creole ahead?
YES. Sort of. Shrimp have a very short cook time, and can easily become rubbery when over cooked. To make this ahead, make the sauce and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Gently reheat in a skillet and then simply add the shrimp just before you are ready to serve.
Shrimp Creole; a family recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion sliced
- 1 cup Celery sliced
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can diced Tomatoes undrained
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 whole Bay Leaves
- dash Tobasco sauce
- 2 pounds large Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 whole lemon for garnish
- In a black cast iron pot melt butter. Add oil.
- Over medium heat sauté onion, bell peppers, and celery 2-3 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add flour and stir well, sauteing 2-3 minutes to cook out the flour flavour.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with juice, and chicken broth. Simmer on low 20-30 minutes until sauce thickens, and peppers are softened.
- Add shrimp, cover and simmer for 5 minutes longer until Shrimp are just cooked through,
Want more great recipes?
For more great recipes, meal plans, LIVE streamed Quick Cook and Meal Prep Video’s plus so much more, join the Love on a Plate community now. We also have a YouTube channel, that’s new but growing, I’d love it if you would subscribe!
We’d love to know what you think of these recipes if you try them! Share a picture on IG using #loveonaplate, Post your picture on the Love on A Plate group, leave a Comment or Rating below. I think you get the picture! We want to hear from you. @loveonaplate.ca