This White Bean Spicy Sausage soup is really delicious and it can be made in a single skillet for easy clean up. It freezes well so you can make a double batch and have some on hand for a last minute meal when you really need it.
Hearty enough to be a healthy dinner and reheats well, so it’s an excellent option to take for lunch as well. Serve with a salad, warm crusty bread, and a few slices of aged cheddar. Delicious!
Do I have to use Cannellini Beans?
No, you don’t, however you should substitute something close. Cannellini Beans are a small, slightly firm, but not grainy textured bean that is sold both dried and canned. I prefer to cook beans from dried when using them for soups as they are a better texture and contain less salt. If you choose to cook your beans in the Instant Pot, be sure to reserve some liquid to puree with some of the beans as noted in the recipe.
It’s also extremely economical to use dried beans, and if you have an Instant Pot it takes under an hour. Did I mention there is no pre-soaking needed? Amazing. If you’ve never cooked dried bean in your instant pot, I’ve included instructions here for you.
If you can’t find Cannellini Beans don’t fret! Some good options would be white navy beans, or white kidney beans. I don’t recommend using red kidney beans as the skins are tougher, and will detract from the richness of this soup.
If you make this soup, we’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below, post a photo on Instagram with the #loveonaplate or leave a comment on Pinterest.
Join us on our Facebook Community for more great recipes, LIVE weekly meal preps and Quick Cook videos and so much more! It’s a great group and we’d love to have you join us.
One-Skillet White Bean and Spicy Sausage Soup
- 3 T. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage crumbled
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 t. oregano dried
- 2 t. rosemary dried
- 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans 15 oz. cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 oz. cannellini beans pureed with liquid from can
- 3 large kale leaves tough stems removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ c. fresh parsley chopped
- Parmesan cheese shaved
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic to pan and sauté until tender.
- Add crumbled bulk pork sausage to skillet and cook until no longer pink inside. Carefully drain excess fat from the pan before adding chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Add oregano, rosemary and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add whole and pureed white beans to skillet. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and simmer another 15-20 minutes. If soup is too thick, add more stock to thin. If it is too thin, continue cooking until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and shaved Parmesan cheese and serve with crusty Italian bread.