Sweet meets savoury in this fabulous holiday side dish.
Brown Sugar Glazed Onions! It might sounds strange, but oh my goodness are they ever delicious and it’s something a little different for your next Holiday meal.
Pearl Onions, cooked in butter, stock and Thyme coated with a delicious brown sugar and apple cider glaze. Honestly, how can you not want to eat these?
Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter all come to mind, they pair really well with Ham and Turkey, which is what I normally serve, but they would be excellent with any Beef or Chicken Roast as well.
Make Ahead Instructions:
These glossy little gems of deliciousness are also totally prepaheadable! I love this for Holiday dinners which so often have me running around the kitchen at the last minute.
Make these Brown Sugar Glazed Onions up to 3 days ahead. Store covered in the refrigerator until needed. Then you have to options.
- Reheat in a pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes just before serving time.
- Place in an oven proof casserole or oven to table dish. Cover with foil and heat for 20-30 minutes until bubbly.
Fresh or Frozen Pearl Onions?
Now I’m not going to lie, using fresh pearl onions, instead of the frozen onions, is a little more fussy and time consuming as you have to peel the onions. In my opinion it’s worth the extra effort, and because these can be made up to 3 days ahead of time, it isn’t a big inconvenience. You decide, I’m not judging and I certainly won’t tell!
How to easily peel pearl onions
If you have decided to use fresh pearl onions, here are some tips on how to make the task just a little easier!
- With a paring knife trim off the root ends of each onion
- Place all cleaned onions in a heat proof bowl
- Bring enough water to boil to cover the onions, and let sit 30 seconds
- Fill a large bowl with ice. Using a slotted spoon remove onions from boiling water and place in bowl with ice.
- Using your fingers, pinch the root end of the onion, the outer skin should peel off, allow the peeled pearl onion to “pop” out. If this doesn’t work use a paring knife to cut off the root end and remove the outer peel.
Come, let me show you how easy it is to make these delicious Brown Sugar Glazed Onions…
Make Ahead Brown Sugar Glazed Onions
- 2 cups pearl onions fresh peeled or frozen
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium low heat until it just sizzles. Pour in onions, add thyme and saute about 4-5 minutes until they begin to brown. Add chicken stock and let simmer until reduced about half. It should be a bit syrupy.
- Add brown sugar, and apple cider. stir and mix to coat well. Pour into small casserole dish and serve immediately, or cover with foil and set aside for later.
- To reheat place in a 350 oven, covered with foil for about 20-25 minutes.
While we’re on the subject of Thanksgiving side dishes, I highly recommend you try my Instant Pot Southern Dressing. It’s another dish you can make ahead, saving time and reducing stress on the big day.
Do you find yourself asking “What’s for Dinner”? We have the Answer! 30 Day Meal Planning Challenge which uses my unique Pick and Choose Meal Planning system. With the printable inspiration sheet, you aren’t committed to specific recipes. Instead you get prompts that help you stay inspired to keep Meal Planning.
Pick and Choose from categories, and use our recommended recipes along with your own.
Join our Love on a Plate Facebook community to make sure you never miss out on any of the new recipes. Watch our Quick Cook Videos, get Meal Planning Tips, and fabulous recipes you’re going to love. Prefer YouTube? We have a channel!