Guacamole is a simple, flavorful dip that appears on my table quite often. Avocado’s can be finicky, too hard and not ripe enough, and then wham, TOO soft. Luckily even over ripe avocado can be used to make this Quick and Easy Fresh Guacamole
There are 100’s of recipes for guacamole, and I’ll admit, I make many variations depending on how much time I have, what I’m serving it with and what’s available in my fridge. This Quick and Easy Fresh Guacamole is a base, it’s what I generally start with, and then I make adjustments.
- Add in chopped red onions
- Stir in spices to easily change the flavor; cumin, cayenne and ground coriander all make good additions
- Use different peppers; try diced green hatch chilies, Chipotle in Adobo, or charred chopped Poblano peppers
- For super last minute prep, stir in good quality Salsa
Other uses for guacamole
Now, if you happen to have leftover guacamole (which we rarely do), you’ll need to make sure that you store it well covered to avoid it going black. There are a few techniques that work well
- Lay plastic wrap directly on the guacamole to prevent exposure to air
- Keep the avocado pit, and place it in the leftover guacamole before covering if you still have it.
- Adding citric acid will also keep if from blackening, add in lemon or lime juice to keep the color fresh and bright
- Stir in some mayo; trust me! Then use the leftovers to make a delicious creamy dip or dressing. I use a ratio of about 1:4. A 1/4 cup of mayo added to 1 cup of Quick and Easy Guacamole.
- 3 medium ripe avocados pits removed and scooped from peel
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro minced
- 1/2 jalapeno seeds and membrane removed, finely diced (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Smash avocado with a fork or pastry blender. Stir together until blended.
- Best if served immediately. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator if needed. Guacamole will start to discolor within 1 day.
Do you find yourself asking “What’s for Dinner”? We have the Answer! 30 Day Meal Planning Challenge which uses my unique Pick and Choose Meal Planning system. With the printable inspiration sheet, you aren’t committed to specific recipes. Instead you get prompts that help you stay inspired to keep Meal Planning.
Pick and Choose from categories, and use our recommended recipes along with your own.
Join our Love on a Plate Facebook community to make sure you never miss out on any of the new recipes. Watch our Quick Cook Videos, get Meal Planning Tips, and fabulous recipes you’re going to love. Prefer YouTube? We have a channel!